Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Infection and Swelling of the Gallbladder and Nonalcoholic Steatophepatitis

That's not a mouth full.

So, I've been going on and on and on about all my pain and suffering. I am happy to let you know that the sharp stabbing knife like pain and nausea died down to a dull bruised like feeling and over the last few days has disappeared altogether.

I went to talk to my doctor this morning and, as the title of this post suggests, I was diagnosed with infection and swelling of the gallbladder and nonalcoholic steatophepatitis.

What that means, if I understood him correctly, is that the pain and nausea was caused by my gallbladder. No gallstones. It was just infected and swollen. If the pain returns I will have to go back for more testing for a full out gallbladder dysfunction.

While doing the blood work and ultrasound they also found that I have nonalcoholic steatophepatitis, inflammation of the liver.

They have to specify nonalcoholic because I have the same signs and symptoms of a binge drinking without the binge drinking. In fact I hardly drink at all. Mona says I get a hangover headache as soon as I start drinking. And I can never have more than one, because by the time everyone is ready to leave I'm still working on my first drink. I call it classy sipping.

Anyways, eating healthier foods and exercising will help prevent this from getting worse and killing my liver in the next 30 to 40 years. From the handout I was given they aren't really sure what causes it, but it could be a lot of different things.

So, what I have to do is:

1. Quit eating out so much

2. Eat more green things

3. Drink more water

4. Drink more coffee (thank goodness this is on the list of good things for your liver and gallbladder or I would be dead)

5. Exercise more (right now anything is more)

6. Start taking Vitamin E (per the doctor)

7. Go back to the doctor if my pain returns for more gallbladder testing

8. Give up my binge drinking ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment